Akonadi errors with GMail account

Szőts Ákos szotsaki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 06:03:09 GMT 2018

Dear Developers,

I consider myself as a regular end-user in terms of e-mail client usage. I have a GMail account with IMAP and I would like to send and receive e-mails within KMail/Kontact. I have some folders synchronised besides all of the [GMail] default ones. I started with clean Akonadi profile (deleted everything related beforehand).

Despite portraying an average user I encountered so many bugs and hiccups (which even made using KMail blatantly difficult) that I decided to collect most of them from a 30-minute long session. These are which an average user using GMail and KMail encounter often in my opinion.

I know that some bugs are difficult to reproduce, therefore my idea is to list the errors and if you consider them rather bad for user experience, I' ll compile the latest KMail/Akonadi duo and I help you to debug the exact issue and, if you have time to create them, to apply your patches and provide you fast feedback on their usefulness.

I use a quite recent openSUSE Tumbleweed rolling distro with KMail and Akonadi 18.08.1.

The errors from my user experience on GUI:
- Akonadi server eats 10+ GB of memory until I shut it down [1] (I created a heaptrack profile there)
- I can only refresh a folder only once until “akonadictl restart”
- Some mails I cannot move to another folder failing with a dialogue stating this ("cannot move item" or "Unable to execute query")
- After some minutes of synchronisation the preview pane stucks in "Retrieving folder contents. Please wait...” message when I try to open a new mail.

The errors are from console (from about a 30-minute run):
- org.kde.pim.akonadicore: Error during ItemSync:  "Multiple merge candidates, aborting"
- Qt WebEngine seems to be initialized from a plugin. Please set Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts using QCoreApplication::setAttribute before constructing QGuiApplication.
- qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket::startClientEncryption: cannot start handshake on non-plain connection
- org.kde.pim.ksmtp: Socket error: 2 "Remote server closed connection"
- org.kde.pim.akonadicore: Creating/updating items from the akonadi database failed: “” [50+ times]
- org.kde.pim.akonadicore: Creating/updating items from the akonadi database failed: "Multiple merge candidates, aborting” [10+ times]
- org.kde.pim.akonadiprivate: Error: failed to remove part file “/home/aki/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/79/1051679_r0” [with 100+ different files, access rights are ok]
- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: DATABASE ERROR:
-- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   Error code: "1205"
-- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   DB error:  "Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction"
-- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   Error text: "Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query"
-- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   Query: "UPDATE PimItemTable SET rev = ?, remoteId = ?, remoteRevision = ?, gid = ?, collectionId = ?, mimeTypeId = ?, datetime = ?, atime = ?, dirty = ?, size = ? WHERE ( id = ? )"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Error during updating record with id 351516  in table "PimItemTable" "Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query"
- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Protocol exception: Failed to write data to stream
- org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: ProcessControl: Application "/usr/bin/akonadi_imap_resource" stopped unexpectedly ( “The process has crashed” )
- org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Application '/usr/bin/akonadi_imap_resource' crashed. No restart!
- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Payload file  "/home/aki/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/19/1052219_r0"  could not be open for reading!
- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Error:  "No such file or directory"
- !org.kde.pim.imapresource: Called item() while state holds multiple items!
- ”Item query returned empty result set"
- QFont::setPixelSize: Pixel size <= 0 (0) [20+ times]
- org.kde.pim.akonadicore: ""
- org.kde.pim.imapresource: Detected inconsistency in local cache, we're missing some messages. Server:  98582  Local:  98515
-- org.kde.pim.imapresource: Refetching complete mailbox.
- Tokenizer Warning: 8Bit character ' õ   [with different letters]
- org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: "AgentManager::agentInstanceSynchronize"  Agent instance  "akonadi_maildir_resource_0"  has no resource interface!
- QDBusConnection: name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.4330'
- org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: "Cannot connect to agent instance with identifier 'akonadi_imap_resource_5', error message: ''"
- QIODevice::read (QLocalSocket): device not open [20+ times]

If you had time to pin down the most severe ones, I'd be happy to help you debugging them.

Thank you very much!

All the best,

Ákos

[1]: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2018-November/001650.html