Help proposal for Akregator

Pierre pinaraf at pinaraf.info
Thu May 3 11:35:18 BST 2018

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 9:44:36 AM CEST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 April 2018 00:10:40 CEST Pierre wrote:
> > Hi
>
> Hi Pierre,

Hi

Sorry for the delay, I got a very busy week-end :/

> > And if that's ok with you, I plan working on performance, memory usage,
> > and
> > on the SQL backend (it's in alpha-state, but working), to get rid of
> > metakit and a huge amount of issues it comes with.
>
> Are you planning to store the entire articles in the SQL database? I'm
> wondering how that's gonna scale with lots of large articles...

I plan to do that yes. I don't think it's going to be worse than what we
currently have (the Metakit files already store the entire articles).
For huge archives (>2GB maybe ?) SQLite may hit some limits and something
stronger like PostgreSQL could be helpful.
But I don't see how it could not be far better than our current Metakit. I
also think that the current system has huge performance issues that we will
solve using SQL queries to order articles instead of fetching every article,
filtering and sorting using QSortFilterProxyModel. This will take a few
months, but after I write a data migration solution I hope to be quickly able
to demonstrate the final benefits using my archives.

 Pierre