Moving serializer plugins to respective akonadi-* repos?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue Mar 6 10:25:45 GMT 2018

On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 09:13:30 CET Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Il giorno Mon, 05 Mar 2018 19:07:45 +0100
>
> Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at kde.org> ha scritto:
> > serializers to the akonadi-* repos would allow FatCRM (and
> > potentially others non-KDEPIM Akonadi-based projects, if there are
>
> Can you make an example of how it would look for a single serializer?

Each class that can get stored in Akonadi needs a serializer plugin. FatCRM
only uses KContacts::Addressee so it only needs one particular serializer
plugin for KContacts::Addressee class (it also ships a bunch of its own
serializers). The serializer plugin is loaded on demand by Akonadi when the
callers tries to access the data in Akonadi Item (via Item::payload<T>). So if
the app only accesses one particular data it only needs one particular plugin.

Arguably, even if we shipped all serializer plugins together it would still be
OK (as the plugins only depend on respective akonadi-* libs), the main idea is
to separate them from the resources and agents.

> Also once the change is in, please warn distributions in advance
> because dependencies will have to get adjusted (to prevent non-working
> setups).

Nothing much will change for KDE PIM as KMail, KOrganizer, KAddressbook
already depend (directly or indirectly) on all three akonadi-* repos, so the
serializers will be pulled in. But I'll send an email.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683