[kde-release-team] Re: New module: KPkPass

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 08:02:46 GMT 2018

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 07:20:21 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Sandro Knauß <sknauss at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hey,

> >> Can Application modules depend on libraries from Extragear releases
> >> though?
> >
> > Why not? Applications can depend on everything external and internal KDE
> > including Extragear.
>
> The only restriction here is that the Extragear component is released
> prior to Applications making it's release.
> (ie. you shouldn't be dependent on the latest git version)

Ok, then Extragear is at least a theoretical path towards Frameworks, while
still being immediately useful for Applications. Still feels a bit weird to be
"punished" for thinking ahead by having to do manual releases, compared to
looking at Frameworks as an afterthought.

> Otherwise there is no limitation on Applications -> Extragear (or
> Plasma as the case may be)
>
> Playground on the other hand is quite different - nothing outside
> Playground may depend on something in Playground.

> >> Right, which excludes the Application -> Frameworks move which is
> >> particularly interesting for a number of framework candidates in KDE PIM.
> >
> > Jonathan only mention, that he would avoid it because of the version
> > number
> > lowering. It is not a rocket science to bump the epoch number in
> > distribution but still work... And at least in Debian we need to test
> > with each move between different release cycle, what has changed, if the
> > new version breaks older builds.
> >
> > For me it is more obvious, that if you release a 0.90 in Extragear f.ex.
> > and no changes for 6 months and than a new version in Frameworks, from
> > what point the API/ABI is stable. Keep in mind Application releases are
> > not connected to the internal state of the product.
> >
> >> Maybe if possible and doesn't feel forced, there can be a name change/
> >
> > improvement that may help?
> >
> > +1 do not use the KF5 namespace before it enters KF5, therefore you have
> > the review process to finalize the lib for frameworks.
>
> Please note that this can create some significant issues with
> backwards compatibility during the transition period (for an
> applications to frameworks move for instance), as we found out with
> Purpose. As it turns out, CMake does not like creating forwarding
> targets, particularly on Windows.
>
> Therefore you might want to start using the KF5 prefix, and port all
> applications to that, a little bit before you enter review for
> Frameworks.

That's what we did for the KHolidays move a while ago, which AFAIK worked
quite well, being a drop-in replacement in all aspects. I might not be seeing
the full distro picture there though.

It's IMHO worth finding the best path here, as with the KDateTime port
completed in PIM, there are a few more former kdepimlibs libs (kcalcore,
syndication, kmime, kcontacts, etc) lined up to become part of Frameworks,
preferably in the least painful way possible :)

Regards,
Volker