Microsoft Azure account for Akonadi EWS

Krzysztof Nowicki krissn at op.pl
Fri Mar 23 17:44:58 GMT 2018

Hi,

My company has recently tighten-up security on our Office 365 configuration and
all external access now requires OAUTH2 authentication. In order to make
Akonadi EWS work I've started to implement this authentication for the
resource.

With Qt 5.8 all the building blocks are there - there is QtNetworkAuth and
QtWebEngine, which together allow doing the OAUTH2 authentication with just
several lines of code.

I have however hit a problem - in order to authenticate against the Azure AD
the client needs to identify itself with a client ID. In order to obtain one a
global, multi-tenant application must be registered with the Azure cloud,
which in turn requires a business account - a personal one is not enough.

For the moment I have borrowed a client ID from an existing Android app, but
obviously we wouldn't want to ship Akonadi EWS with it.

Evolution has also recently implemented OAUTH2 authentication in their EWS
plugin, but they went for a different approach - instead of registering an app
themselves they are shifting that towards the user and letting him provide all
the necessary data in the account configuration. Personally I think such
approach is bad for usability.

I could try to open a trial account for now and register the app, but I'm not
sure if the registration will survive once the trial period is over.

I think a better approach would be for KDE as an organization to register an
app for Akonadi EWS, so that the ownership of it is clear. Does KDE have such
an account? Would there be a possibility to create one?

Regards
Chris