Review of database aspect of Akonadi, Akonadi concepts and a master plan

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 23:22:06 GMT 2018

Thanks Martin,

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 13:48:22 CET Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Dear PIMsters,
>
> Dan posted his text about the concepts and different components and items in
> Akonadi onto the community wiki:
>
> https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi/Architecture
>
> It is not yet totally complete, there are some bits missing in "How the
> whole thing works together". Dan or I happily update you when this is also
> complete.

I have now completed my magnum opus. Some parts could be more detailed, but
then they would get out-of-date too quickly :-) The page is also now linked
form the main KDE PIM/Akonadi page.

<sniiiip>

> > 2. notification payloads. So that change notifications have the changed
> > data inside already.
>
> Dan describes this task as follows:
> > Second part of the fix is notification payloads - sending the entire Items
> > as  part of change notifications so that every client that gets notified
> > about an  Item change does not need to query Akonadi for the actual Item
> > but get it  right away. If you have 5 clients receiving the notifications,
> > that's 5  ItemFetchJobs and at least 15 SQL queries on the major tables (3
> > per client).  We usually have most of the data already in memory when
> > doing
> > the change on  the server, so just sending the data and the payload to the
> > clients as part of  the notification would be a massive speed up and would
> > ease up on SQL.
>
> I did not find a Phabricator task for this one yet. I will ask Dan about it
> and look into creating one if its not there yet.

https://phabricator.kde.org/T639

(it had more cryptic name initially before someone came up with the cool
"Notification Payloads" term, so I renamaned the task now)

<sniiiiiiiip>

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683