D14163: Fix translation of country names

Volker Krause noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 16 19:59:31 BST 2018

vkrause added a comment.

  In D14163#293231 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14163#293231>, @pino wrote:

  > `ISOtoCountry()` IMHO ought to be deprecated altogether, and replaced by a pure iso-codes lookup done elsewhere (e.g. in an external library, as I mentioned). This is definitely possible using iso-codes.

  Once we have such a replacement, sure.

  > OTOH `countryToISO()` is a more complex situation, and sadly iso-codes does not help here -- you can lookup English names, but that's about it.

  Right. I'm looking at CLDR for generating a sorted lookup table to ISO codes for this.

  >> This change is indeed not perfect in case the spelling doesn't match exactly, but that seems to be the exception. So it's still a low-risk step forward IMHO.
  >
  > There seems to be 20-21 entries of countries that either a) do not exist anymore b) their spelling does not match any of name / common name / official name in iso-codes, which makes 9% of the entries... Not to mention around 26 countries that `countrytransl.map` does not know about.

  Yep, replacing countrytansl.map is definitely needed. Besides the outdated and incomplete content it's also too expensive to parse for how it's used atm.

  However, until that's done, this patch gives us working translations for the majority of countries, by using the data set we agree we want to use for that. Not perfect obviously, but it's not meant to be the final state. I agree with all your points, but please give me the chance to implement this step by step :)

REPOSITORY
  R174 PIM: KContacts

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D14163