debugging akonadi_control

Jos van den Oever jos at vandenoever.info
Tue Dec 11 12:32:01 GMT 2018

On Tuesday, 11 December 2018 12:07:22 CET you wrote:
> > I've been experiencing daily crashes of akonadi_control. I'd like to
> > figure
> > out what's going on. I've attached gdb to get stack traces. Unfortunately,
> > as you can see from the log below, akonadi_control crashes without giving
> > an opportunity to show the backtraces.
>
> Maybe it's not a crash but an exit, then?

That's true. It's an unexpected exit. KMail is running and somehow
akondi_control decides to stop. Sometimes it restarts, sometimes it doesn't
and shows the 'Start' button in KMail.

> > What would be better way of getting to the cause of the crashes?
>
> Try setting a breakpoint to _exit() to see where the program is terminated
> from.

I've that running than and will see where it's called from. It will probably
work because it also stopped at _exit when calling `akonadictl restart`.

> Also, when you run Akonadi from terminal (akonadictl restart), you should
> see debug output of all Akonadi components, including akonadi_control -
> maybe there could be some hint as to what's happening there?

There is a message about akonadi_maildir_resource_0.

===
$ org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: mysqld for Akonadi is already running, trying to
connect to it.
akonadi.collectionattributetable                   OK
akonadi.collectionmimetyperelation                 OK
akonadi.collectionpimitemrelation                  OK
akonadi.collectiontable                            OK
akonadi.flagtable                                  OK
akonadi.mimetypetable                              OK
akonadi.parttable                                  OK
akonadi.parttypetable                              OK
akonadi.pimitemflagrelation                        OK
akonadi.pimitemtable                               OK
akonadi.pimitemtagrelation                         OK
akonadi.relationtable                              OK
akonadi.relationtypetable                          OK
akonadi.resourcetable                              OK
akonadi.schemaversiontable                         OK
akonadi.tagattributetable                          OK
akonadi.tagremoteidresourcerelationtable           OK
akonadi.tagtable                                   OK
akonadi.tagtypetable                               OK
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: "Cannot connect to agent instance with identifier
'akonadi_maildir_resource_0', error message: ''"
===

There is a process running that corresponds to resource_0:
    akonadi_maildir_resource --identifier akonadi_maildir_resource_0

Some more information that might be pertinent. The version is 5.9.0 from KDE
applications 18.08.0 running on NixOS 18.09.

When akonadi_control restarts, the current message list in KMail becomes
empty. When clicking on another folder and back to the previous folder, the
message list is visible again.

Cheers,
Jos