PIM Test Suite

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue Dec 11 10:16:25 GMT 2018

On Tuesday, 11 December 2018 09:22:20 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Ben,

> Recently it seems something has changed in the PIM test suite, because
> i've started noticing that PIM projects are getting hung up waiting
> for kdeinit5 to exit.

I'm not aware of any such change and we don't directly interact with kdeinit5
in our testsuite as far as I can tell. Can you link to such a test run? I
can't see any test on the CI that would be stuck waiting for kdeinit5.

> Problem is, they should never, ever, ever, ever be running kdeinit5,
> because the CI test tooling does that for you. If you run it, then
> you'll end up stuck for eternity, because CTest will see the
> persistently running process and will wait forever (until someone
> intervenes manually and kills it off).
>
> Can the code that's killing the kdeinit process launched by the CI
> tooling please be removed?
>
> On that note, the hanging akonadiserver issue still hasn't been resolved.

Checked all recent builds that run the Akonadi server as part of a test, but
haven't seen any of them stuck (or being manually terminated). But we lost all
the build history recently, so I don't have many logs to check :(

Is there a way I could get the Docker image (or at least the Dockerfile) that
the builds run in on the CI so I can try to reproduce this in an environment
that is as close to the CI env as possible? It doesn't seem to happen when I
just run the Akonadi testsuite inside my regular session - and I haven't
noticed kdeinit5 getting killed after running Akonadi tests locally, so I
suspects there's something else in the play here.

Anyway, if there's no easy way for me to set up the CI-like env locally, then
probably the best way is to try to investigate this directly on the CI builder
once it happens again, at least to see what state the whole thing is in.

Btw, is there maybe a way to set a maximum run time for a build job on Jenkins
after which Jenkins simply kills the job? This would avoid us blocking the
builders, at least until this is fixed properly.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683