Missing bodies

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Aug 20 21:40:27 BST 2018

No, this isn't about a murder-related TV series ;)

I just had a bug in akonadi where some old emails are not readable when being offline, despite the "Download messages for offline use" option being checked in the IMAP settings.

Investigation showed this in the logs:
  ItemRetrievalJob::start: processing retrieval request for item (1447066)  parts: ("HEAD", "RFC822")  of resource: "akonadi_imap_resource_2"
  ItemRetrievalManager::retrievalJobFinished: ItemRetrievalJob finished for request 0x7f13a41b0550 , error: "Unable to retrieve item from resource: Cannot fetch item in offline mode."

which leads to this SQL query:

MariaDB [akonadi]> select pimItemId,partTypeId,datasize,version,storage from parttable where pimItemId=1447066;
+-----------+------------+----------+---------+---------+
| pimItemId | partTypeId | datasize | version | storage |
+-----------+------------+----------+---------+---------+
|   1447066 |          5 |        0 |       1 |       0 |  (RFC822) --- why 0??
|   1447066 |          7 |        0 |       1 |       0 |  HEAD
|   1447066 |          8 |      765 |       2 |       0 |  ENVELOPE
|   1447066 |         11 |        1 |       0 |       0 |  MDNStateAttribute
+-----------+------------+----------+---------+---------+
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Comments in last column are mine, obviously. Empty RFC822, that shouldn't happen, should it?

MariaDB [akonadi]> select pimItemId,partTypeId,datasize,version,storage from parttable where partTypeId=5 AND datasize=0;
shows 3124 rows!!

What is it that might lead to bodies (RFC822) not being stored in the DB?

Could this happen when failing to save to ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/* ?
I had a few "partition full" scenarios lately. Although, hmm, that was the root filesystem, not the home one.

In any case, apart from the root case, I wonder if we could
1) propagate the error to the user when saving fails, and
2) download all missing bodies next time we're online to ensure that those emails will indeed be readable from an air plane...

Working on KDE Frameworks 5