tricky situation with recurring events

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Sun Apr 8 19:05:15 BST 2018

I have the following situation and wanted to check with you
what you think is the correct way to handle this:

I received 2 invitation emails, the first is a recurring event where I am a participant,
the second is an update to the first (e.g. location changed).

What I obviously did was clicking on accept on the _second_ invitation.
Now I have an entry in my calendar which has SEQUENCE:15
but since it's an update and has RECURRENCE-ID set, it is not shown in the calendar
(AgendaView::displayIncidence() returns if incidence->hasRecurrenceId())

When I now like to accept the first original recurring event, kmail tells me
"Error: This isn't an update. The found incidence was modified more recently."
which is coming since in akonadi-calendar/src/scheduler_p.cpp
it finds the already accepted update with the SEQUENCE:15 but the original event has
SEQUENCE:14

In the same method I find the comment
// notify the user in case this is an update and we didn't find the to-be-updated incidence

it seems this is the case what happend to me but I can't remember exactly.
However the implementation also shows a message box to the user:
"Cannot find invitation to be updated" ... "This is not a problem, but we thought you should know."

But it seems this IS a problem since I can not accept the original event!
(so I end up with NO event shown)

I tried to work around this by commenting out the code which throws the "This isn't an update."
message. However clearly I have now the original event in my calendar without the update of
the location.

I see the following possibilities:
1) add the original event to the calendar and automatically find and apply
   all update events in the correct order
2) Allow the user to avoid to accept the update event before the original
   event was accepted by instead of just using a KMessageBox::information()
   use a dialog with "Ok" and "Cancel" buttons
3) modify the update event when it was accepted before the original event was accepted
   so that korganizer still shows it (e.g. unsetting the redurrenceId ?)
4) some combinations of all the above

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.lillehus.at