Help proposal for Akregator

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Apr 25 08:44:36 BST 2018

On Wednesday, 25 April 2018 00:10:40 CEST Pierre wrote:
> Hi

Hi Pierre,

> Those of you following IRC or git commits may have noticed I contributed a
> few patches to Akregator in the last days. I am an avid user of Akregator.
> My archives are more than 10 years old (who want to read back the
> announcement of Qt 4.4 TP 1 ?), over 700 000 articles… I initially proposed
> patches paving the way to have a SQL archive backend, because I don't feel
> safe having 2GB of files almost impossible to backup and unusable outside
> akregator. And thus I started digging in the code, fixing performance
> issues…
> And after some discussion with Laurent Montel, I would like to officialy
> offer my help maintaining Akregator. I can't promise I would be the best
> maintainer ever, not even an acceptable one (I've got other codebases and
> some other time intensive hobbies…), but I'm willing to help fix
> Akregator's bugs, implement a few features…

That's awesome, thanks for stepping up! We neglected Akregator a little in the
past years, I'm happy to see it will get some love again.

> And if that's ok with you, I plan working on performance, memory usage, and
> on the SQL backend (it's in alpha-state, but working), to get rid of
> metakit and a huge amount of issues it comes with.

Are you planning to store the entire articles in the SQL database? I'm
wondering how that's gonna scale with lots of large articles...

Cheers,
Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683