Simplifying Korganizer

Jos van den Oever jos at vandenoever.info
Wed Sep 13 17:17:50 BST 2017

Op woensdag 13 september 2017 07:12:28 CEST schreef Kevin Ottens:
> Sorry, but I don't see a way to have both events and tasks in the todo tree
> view. If I want to see events the only possibility is to switch to the
> agenda view AFAICT.

I've been dreaming about a view for this and keep waiting for a coding time
window to make a poc. As I mentioned earlier, I see all of these things as
texts with metadata.

This is what I have in mind for a view with events and tasks.

What are tasks? They are events without fixed times, but they might have a
priority, a deadline and a context, and a duration estimate.

For example, my task 'practice trombone' is a private task, but the task
'empty inbox' occurs as work task and private task.

Depending on a context, the software can dynamically schedule a task in my
calendar. It goes in the empty slots appropriate for the context. So private
stuff goes in evenings and weekends and works stuff flows to fill the empty
work slots in the calendar. If you want to schedule a meeting that would let a
task with a deadline flow beyond the deadline, the calendar/planning app could
indicate this dynamic scheduling conflict.

The widget to make this possible is not trivial and the backing data model
would also have to have some understanding of the logic of all of this.

In GTD methodology, the weekly review could then be done in the journalling/
calendar view.

Cheers,
Jos