Developing KDE PIM with Docker

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Nov 2 21:45:11 GMT 2017

On Donnerstag, 2. November 2017 21:11:37 CET David Jarvie wrote:
> Running the 'ls' commands gives the same permissions and ownerships for me.
> However, when I try to create any file in ~/kdepim in the docker instance, I
> always get an error message "Read-only file system".
>
> The docker command which run.sh executes is
>
> sudo docker run -ti -e DISPLAY -e ICECC_SERVER -v=/tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-
> unix:rw,z -v=/run/user/1000/pulse:/run/user/1000/pulse:rw,z -
> v=/home/david/kdepim-dev:/home/neon/kdepim:rw,z --privileged --name
> kdepim-dev kdepim:dev
>
> So ~/kdepim-dev *should* be mounted read-write, but for some reason must be
> getting mounted read-only. There is no error message when I start docker.

Does your user account 'david' really have user ID 1000?

If your user ID is not 1000, then it's clear why the neon user (which has user
ID 1000) inside the container cannot write to /home/david/kdepim-dev resp.
/home/neon/kdepim.

Try
$ ls -lsan ~/kdepim-dev
and
$ docker exec -it kdepim-dev ls -lsan ~/kdepim

Regards,
Ingo