Sink/Kube: 2 questions

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 09:02:31 GMT 2017

Christian Mollekopf wrote:

Hi,

> Well yes, that's a known issue.
> The mimetreeparser is a shared library, so that shouldn't be a problem
> per se.

Nope, and I discovered just after I hit send on that previous message that
messagelib has an option to build only the mimetreeparser. Exactly the
workaround I thought I'd have to hack myself :)

> The whole messagelib is indeed not an acceptable long term solution for
> us, that will have to be split up

I'll take your word for that (for now :)) but it does indeed look like a huge
powerhouse with lots of dependencies.

> For the time being it can be built with
> -DMIMETREEPARSER_ONLY_BUILD=TRUE,

Yep, that. Very glad I didn't have to build all those messagelib dependencies
first, too. I'm writing packaging scripts as I go so every new dependency means a
little extra work in getting that part right.

> which is all we need for Kube.
> Whether that part is coinstallable with kdepim4 I don't know.

It seems it is. Usually all that's required for that is avoiding filename
conflicts which much of KF5 (and Qt5) avoid by prepending KF5 (Qt5) to the
library name. With kdepim there's an additional problem which cannot be avoided
even by installing to a different prefix: service names have been kept the same
so you'd get conflicts on the dbus.

I think we should be fine as long as only kdepim5 components are required that do
not install anything executable that registers itself. That may mean that I can
prevent problems locally by removing just the service and/or desktop files (but
those tend to be elusive nowadays :)).

BTW, that libmaildir library appears to be used by a single example only. Is it
really necessary to install a shared library for that, couldn't you build it as
a static library, or at least install the library only if the example app itself
is actually installed?

R.