Akonadi mail transport resource broken

Krzysztof Nowicki krissn at op.pl
Mon Jun 19 10:02:18 BST 2017

W dniu 2017-06-17 09:04:58 użytkownik laurent Montel <montel at kde.org> napisał:
> Hi,

> > I've been getting reports from akonadi-ews users that they're unable to
> > set-up the resource to send e-mail. Surprisingly however it works on an
> > existing installation, which was done pre KDE Applications 17.04.
> >
> > The resource relies on the TransportResourceBase interface. Looking at the
> > commits I noticed some worrying changes in kmailtransport around March 6th
> > (b7885d40). Does this mean that support for sending mail through an Akonadi
> > resource is not supported any more?
>
> Oh someone used akonadi support  ?
> Ok indeed I removed it. I want to implement plugin for it, so I will work on
> it.

In the Microsoft Exchange world everything besides MAPI/EWS support is an option.
Standard protocols such as POP3, IMAP or SMTP (user-level access) can be disabled
and I've seen Windows-centric corporations that actually do that. In such case
SMTP will not work and the only way to send mail is to use MAPI/EWS, which is why
I have implemented a mail transport plugin.

Speaking of implementation details I wonder if it would make sense to refactor
the mail transport support in a way that SMTP actually becomes an Akonadi plugin.
This would allow for a modular design, where Akonadi mail transports would be
first citizens.

Another problem I've seen is the false assumption that an Akonadi mail transport
plugin cannot be combined with a regular (i.e. mail reception/mailbox access)
plugin. In akonadi-ews I had to create a dummy transport plugin that relays all
requests to the master inbox plugin. I wanted to address that at some point, but
since you're playing in this sandbox ATM it might be worth to take this into
account.

Thanks for taking care of this and please let me know if you have any questions
or would like me to test something using akonadi-ews.

Regards
Chris