KDE PIM User Survey

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Jul 29 10:04:43 BST 2017

Hello Daniel.

Daniel Vrátil - 29.07.17, 10:06:
> If you use KMail (or Kontact), please help us, the KDE PIM developers, to
> get a better picture of how you use it so that we know which parts of the
> software we should focus on, and how we should evolve it in the future. We
> will use the results of the survey to make the experience of using KMail as
> best as possible for everyone.
>
> You can fill the survey here: https://survey.kde.org/index.php/852475. It
> won't take you more than 5 minutes.
>
> Also please remember to spread the word about the survey to other KMail
> users so that we get as many responses as possible.
>
> Thank you very much!

Thank you very much for making that survey!

Since I revealed my identity in survey anyway I can put up my additional notes
here on the mailing list as well.

More than KMail Akonadi needs improvement in several ways (please note tough I
am still using KDEPIM/Akonadi 16.04 on Debian unstable so my notes may partly
be outdated):

- see thread "My major issue with Akonadi: Blocking on user input" on kdepim-
users.

  - an akonadictl fsck that really *fixes* issues: "akonadictl fsck: What
messages indicate real issues and what to do about them?" Daniel you answered
this and I didn´t reply to it further, thinking "Whoa! Now I have to play
database admin, low level hex editor game in order to get things consistent
again".

  - No blocking on user input. I cannot repeat this often enough.

  - Robust connection handling. I still have it with Exchange that… at some
time Akonadi just seems to give up and I need to restart it in order that it
picks up IMAP connection again… Or maybe its a different issue, but KMail
shows "ItemRetrieverException : Unable to retrieve item from resource: Did not
receive a reply" or even "Unable to connect to backend resource" (I am not
exactly sure about the wording of this one). What I expect instead is after
some retries to connect with IMAP server… "Unable to connect with IMAP server.
Retry?". You cannot allow it to silently give up without giving the user an
option to retry. I know this is a bit challenging due to the asynchronous of
how KMail handles Akonadi (which is good). But maybe just add a reconnect
option to KMail in a promiment enough place and mention that in the
notification.

I´d focus here… and then start to improve KMail itself. Cause… KMail itself is
really in my eyes one of the best mail clients I know of. Its an excellent
piece of software when it comes to usability and features. That I am still
with it after 13 years, says enough about it. If it wouldn´t have been that
good, I wouldn´t have put up with all the fights I had with Akonadi over the
years, and sometimes still have.

Yes, that is a compliment!

Thanks,
--