required KF5 version

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Sun Dec 17 11:36:35 GMT 2017

Hi,

> I've seen that just recently the required KF5 version was updated in the
> cmake files, e.g. in kaddressbook
> -set(KF5_VERSION "5.39.0")
> +set(KF5_VERSION "5.41.0")
>
> My question: is this really needed ?
> I mean, are there really new APIs which are now used or is this done just
> because the KF5 libs already provide a newer version ?

Normally it is not needed. The background is, that people in the pim team say:
"Only the newest Frameworks is tested together with pim. So only this
combination of Frameworks and pim is tested so we should reflected that and
bump the frameworks deps."

I can understand, that there is not enough manpower to test against each
Framework release. But we could make the automatic bumps not that aggressive.
Aka have a timespan of at least allowed 2-3 Framework releases. That would
make it much more easy to built/test kdepim on actual distributions.

> I'm asking since I'm compiling PIM master on openSuse and it always takes
> some time until the KF5 rpm packages have been updated to the latest
> version, and until this I need to compile all KF5 libs on my own, which is
> a hassle.

The situation for Debian is the same. That's why I can't build kdepim master
anymore on Debian, because a new Framework release takes at least one week to
enter Debian unstable...

sandro