[Differential] [Commented On] D3203: icalformat: remove QByteArray->QString->QByteArray roundtrip.

knauss (Sandro Knauß) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Oct 31 11:14:14 GMT 2016

knauss added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D3203#59579, @dfaure wrote:

  > I believe you are wrong. QFile::readAll() doesn't use any codec at all. It reads 8-bit data, straight into a QByteArray, without any conversion.

  Okay yes, this discription is more correct -  But still, if we don't do the roundtrip through QTextStream, we don't make sure, that we have utf-8 encoded QByteArray afterwards and libical do not care about the encoding.

  See it like this: now if fails to convert a file to UTF-8 at line 94/95 afterwards, it may fail in the middle of something, because now everything can expect that the calendar data is UTF-8 encoded. With your patch this isn't true anymore.

  I know this is nippicking and it is all fine for 99% of the users, because nearly everyone has UTF-8 as default file encoding, but still you can't be sure.

REPOSITORY
  rKCALENDARCORE KCalendar Core

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D3203