[Kde-pim] Akonadi resource for Microsoft Exchange - initial release

Krzysztof Nowicki krissn at op.pl
Sun May 1 21:14:22 BST 2016

Hi all,

After 6 months of development the day has come to publish the initial release
(0.8.0) of the Akonadi resource for Microsoft Exchange Web Services (EWS).

This resource provides the ability to connect to a Microsoft Exchange account
using its native protocol (the same as used by Microsoft Outlook). This way it
should be possible (in future) to expose most of Exchange features to KDE PIM
users.

The initial release focuses on full e-mail support. It is possible to receive
and send e-mail through Exchange (yes, by default Exchange doesn't allow e-mail
to be sent over SMTP - Microsoft Outlook uses EWS to send mail). Full mailbox
management is possible.

One notable feature is server-side tag support. Thanks to Exchange support for
custom properties it is possible to store Akonadi tags along with full metadata
in Exchange.

Non-mail features are either partially or not supported. Calendar and personal
address book can be viewed, but no modifications are possible. Tasks are
unsupported.

Further work will focus on full calendar and tasks support. Aside from that I
would like to work on KDE PIM itself to make it integrate better with the EWS
resource (currently there are some workaround introduced that I'd like to get
rid of). Various assumptions exist in KDE PIM packages that are IMAP-centric and
will need to be revised a little.

The project is hosted on GitHub [1]. I have prepared some packages for Fedora
and Ubuntu (being a Gentoo user I'm not an experienced packager, so bare with
me ;). Please feel free to try it out.

Regards
Chris

[1] https://github.com/KrissN/akonadi-ews