[Kde-pim] Akonad tags support broken?

Krzysztof Nowicki krissn at op.pl
Thu Mar 10 21:19:46 GMT 2016

Hi,

While working on EWS support and server-side tags I've noticed that the tag
support in Akonadi/KDE PIM is somewhat incomplete/broken.

Tags support remote identifiers (similar to items and collections).
Unfortunately adding remote IDs to tags is broken at the Akonadi database
layer (at least with PostgreSQL). The autogenerated SQL code tries to return
the id of the row, which is not present in the
'tagremoteidresourcerelationtable' as it is an n:m relation table. I have
managed to work around this by manually adding the id column to that table.

The ObserverV4::tagAdded() is not guaranteed to be called for all tags in the
database. This leads to a situation where the resource receives a call to
ObserverV4::itemsTagsChanged() with tags that it has never seen before - I
would expect an ObserverV4::tagAdded() call for each of them that doesn't have
a remote identifier for this resource.

I have enabled fetching tags in the change recorder so that I can see a full
list of tags for an item that I get in ObserverV4::itemsTagsChanged().
Unfortunately the tags I don't contain the gid, which I need to identify them
in the absence of remote ID. It seems there is no way to tell a TagFetchScope
to fetch the gid of the tag.

Does this all mean that tag support is incomplete and should not be used? I
would really love to implement this as Exchange allows to do it nicely and I
personally use tags very often.

Regards
Chris