[Kde-pim] Qt 4 Builds

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Mar 27 15:30:19 BST 2016

On Sunday, 2016-03-27, 15:31:47, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Sunday 27 March 2016 09:21:01 laurent Montel wrote:
> > Le dimanche 27 mars 2016, 10:57:18 CEST Ben Cooksley a écrit :
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > As part of the CI overhaul, we've attempted to perform a complete set
> > > of builds for Qt 4, as it's still (unfortunately) used.
> > >
> > > Sadly, as expected for something nobody has really tried to build for
> > > ages, many things don't build.
> > > One of those is the entire PIM suite - because Baloo removed it's Qt 4
> > > build metadata (meaning as far as the CI system is concerned, Baloo
> > > has no Qt 4 branches and is Qt 5 only)
> > >
> > > You've two options here:
> > > 1) Drop Qt 4 PIM.
> > > 2) Reinstate Baloo's Qt 4 branches.
> > >
> > > I intend to carry out option #1 if there is no response to this.
> >
> > I vote for #1 too.
> > We will not create more release from kdepim4, no distro uses it even
> > debian :)
> The latest openSuse (Leap 42.1) ships the Qt4 based kdepim, although it uses
> plasma5 desktop.

Debian does that too.
It seems that upgrading KDE PIM would upgrade Akonadi but there is no Qt
kdepimlibs/libakonadi-kde available which would allow access to the new
Akonadi server.

So distributions that ship other Akonadi using applications will have to wait
with KDEPIM upgrade until all packaged Akonadi programs have Qt5 libakonadi
based versions available.
Or have dropped Akonadi now that it is no longer a service for non-KDEPIM
applications.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring