[Kde-pim] soversion

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Jan 27 20:45:47 GMT 2016

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 07:44:17 PM Sandro Knauß wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > I had this all working auto-magically in the KDE4 world.
>
> well it worked "auto-magically in the KDE4 world" because API and ABI changes
> were not allowed, so no need to update the soversion.

Not true.  We could change the ABI with each minor release.
My memory might be hazy on the exact rules, but I'm sure
we changed the ABI regularly.

else we would have had soversion 4.0.0 for all releases starting with KDE4.0.0

> And because we allow API/ABI changes we also need to mantain the soversion.

and my suggestion fixes that.  you always change the soversion for each library with each release.
regardless if that's needed or not.