[Kde-pim] Akonadi-next and KAccounts

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 15:09:53 GMT 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Christian Mollekopf <chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I've been pondering this for a while and here are my thoughts (they
> might be ill informed in various ways, please correct me if I'm wrong):
> * I don't think this is a cross-platform solution, starting from
> libaccounts-glib going over dbus. It seems like a unix only solution to
> me.

It can also work through sockets iirc.

> * For credentials we'll probably want to integrate with whatever is
> supported by the platform (native keyrings), and perhaps a fallback
> solution that is portable (but I don't know what that would be yet).

SignOnD, the part taking care of credentials, is extensible with platform
plugins, ie. you can use native keyrings just fine.

> * The path to OAUTH is still a bit fuzzy, and libaccounts might help in
> this scenario, but the server side is not yet there so it's not an
> urgent target for us.
> * libaccounts is all in all still a rather heavy dependency with various
> components.

> This puts libaccounts for me into the "enhanced platform integration"
> department, and as such is of low priority for the time being.
> I still think the idea of having an accounts based setup is a great one,
> and something I definitely hope we can support at some point, but I
> don't currently expect this to happen anytime soon.

As long as it's possible to hook up kaccounts with akonadi/sink,
I'm happy.

> I think our first step has to be an account setup within kube, with
> credential storage somewhere (don't really know where that is yet),
> because that's the only really portable solution that get's us started.

So if the accounts-sso project would be fully portable, you would
consider using it?

I would really like to finally get to the point where we have a single
accounts setup place for the whole desktop rather than every app
doing its own accounts management.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer