[Kde-pim] MailTransport resource capability

Krzysztof Nowicki krissn at op.pl
Tue Feb 23 18:28:46 GMT 2016

Hi,

I've stumbled upon another potential issue when working on the Akonadi EWS
resource. In the Microsoft Exchange world there is no SMTP. Both receiving and
sending e-mail happens through the EWS protocol. On the Akonadi side the
default method to send e-mail is SMTP. Fortunately however a resource can
declare the "MailTransport" capability, which will allow it to be used to send
e-mail.

This is where things get complicated, as the "MailTransport" capability was
designed to indicate a MTA-only resource. This means that declaring that
capability on a resource will disable some email reception capabilities (no
"Check mail" possibility for example)

As far as my EWS resource goes the current state of affairs would force me to
create two independent resources - one for e-mail access, calendar, tasks, etc
and a second one just for outgoing mail. This will cause unnecessary code
duplication and - more importantly - configuration duplication. I'd like to
avoid that if possible.

So I was thinking if there would be a way to allow all-in-one resources in
Akonadi. One possibility would be to lift the current restrictions as to
receiving e-mail from resources with the "MailTransport" capability. This
would however potentially break backward compatibility with resources that
expect the current behaviour.

An alternative would be to declare some additional capability
("MailTransportReception"?) to indicate such all-in-one resources.

What do you think?

K.