KMail: adding POP3 account

ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 15 07:13:54 GMT 2016

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 18:53:02 GMT solitone wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:22:09 PM CET solitone wrote:
> > I tried and added a new "receiving account" and chose
> > "Maildir".  It then proposed $HOME/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_1
> > as new location for my new maildir (akonadi_maildir_resource_0 corresponds
> > to Local Folders), created that folder (empty), and the associated new
> > account named akonadi_maildir_resource_1 (the account name can't be
> > renamed
> > from here).

That sounds like it should be something you should be able to name on
creation, maybe something for a wishlist.

> > Then  I added a new "receiving account", and chose "POP3 E-Mail Server".
> > It
> > proposes again Local Folders/inbox as destination folder, and when I try
> > and change that folder, it only allows me to choose between Local Folders
> > and subdirs, and the folders and subfolders associated with the previous
> > IMAP accounts. The newly created maildir folder does not appear in the
> > directory tree.
>
> I solved with akonadi console. From there I first managed to rename the
> maildir to a proper name (rather than akonadi_bla_bla_bla). Then I created
> a new subdir called "inbox". Once I had the my_new_maildir/inbox subfolder,
> I went back to KMail, and this time I could choose my_new_maildir/inbox as
> the destination folder.

When i tried creating a new maildir resource, it created a folder structure
below it mimicking my current local folders structure. I'm using 5.3.3 so it
may be different to you.
If you right clicked the folder name, you could could have renamed it via the
"Folder Properties".

> I tested and it fetches emails from pop3 server, and puts them in the
> specified destination folder. True it works, but it was quite an endeavor
> for such a simple thing!
>
> There are still some things that don't work, but will update you on these
> later on.

This has been a useful thread, i've learnt a few things.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20161212
Qt: 5.7.0