libkdav

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue Dec 13 04:54:21 GMT 2016

On Monday, December 12, 2016 4:15:58 PM CET Sandro Knauß wrote:
> Hey,

Hi Sandro,

> Inside Kube we also want to use DAV support for CalDav and CardDav and
> looked around and found a nice solution inside kdepim-runtime, that can be
> easily be extracted and reused from kube too.
>
> * Any names ideas for this lib? libkdav? and the repo kdav?

kdav.git makes sense (following the kimap, kldap, etc. patern).

> Here is my current extraction process:
> https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/knauss/kdav.git/
>
> points need to be done:
> * adding everything to a namespace (KDAV?)

Yup, KDAV sounds good

> * install public headers
> * mark symbols as public
> * move akonadi specific parts into kdepim-runtime

Looking in the code, you probably want everything except for the "resource"
directory, possibly just extracting some "utlity.cpp" stuff from there?

> * remove translations of error strings

I understand the reason why, but I think that simply just doing s/i18n/
QStringLiteral/ is not good enough, because we want to show localized errors
to users. You need to have a rich-enough Error enum, so that client
applications can generate their own localized and useful-enough error message
based on context (what failed) + the error value. How do you plan to solve
localized error messages in Kube? For sure you don't want to show errors in
English to all your users?

> longer planed goals:
> *get rid of kio dependencies

As long as an API to set cookiejar/proxy is provided so we can still integrate
with KDE at least manually...

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683