[Kde-pim] QT 5.6.0

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 12:25:36 BST 2016

Hello,

On Friday, 15 April 2016 13:08:55 CEST laurent Montel wrote:
> Le vendredi 15 avril 2016, 12:38:23 CEST Sandro Knauß a écrit :
> > well but we don't have plasma as dependecy - kdepim should be installable
> > without Plasma.  Argumeting about Plasma is not a valid argument.
>
> But when we build from master we build plasma too

You do, I don't... Don't force your way of working onto others. Especially
something as radical: again, you're proactively pushing potential contributors
away with that thinking.

> => it's a valid argument.

Definitely not.

> > > After that I worked to port to qtwebengine and my focus for 16.08 is to
> > > migrate all to qtwebengine.
> > > So I will not wait 2 years to make it.
> > > I work a lot on it so I will switch in several weeks.
> >
> > Nobody talks about waiting two years, but as already mentioned Qt 5.6 is
> > released only some weeks ago.
>
> Yep but it's for master not official release.

Please re-read the thread, you should really realize that master doesn't mean
"free for all, I do whatever I want and other will deal with it". If only for
the CI you have to be much more responsible than that.

> > Why it is not a solution to check fot Qt5.6 and enable/disable the support
> > when Qt5.6 is available?
>
> Ok I will disable kmail/akregator/kontact/sieveeditor when not qt5.6.
> I am not sure that it's a better idea but why not it's my second option.
>
> > But my main point is: We need to discuss this first - before it is done
> > silently. Can we agree in that?
>
> You are against 5.6.
> I am for using 5.6.

Why are you antagonizing this??

No one is "against 5.6" per say here... But most are trying to make you
realize that you can't switch things like that when it pleases you, that's the
price to pay for working with others and other teams, that's the price to pay
to have one day a useful CI for KDEPIM.

Note that a "useful CI for KDEPIM" is badly needed if we want to have the
faintest chance of reworking the applications architecture as discussed during
the sprint. It is *that* important.

> I am blocked for the moment to finish kmail qtwebengine support with actual
> code so I need to switch it for finish it.
> I didn't activate it for 16.04 as Qt5.6 was not release now it's release so
> I will switch.
> I will not wait august 2016 to wait for finding bugs.

You really should look at the situation in a less binary way... master could
start depending on Qt 5.6 at some point, maybe even before august who knows.
But this needs to be discussed and orchestrated properly to not generate pain
for everyone else but you.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net