[Kde-pim] Outlook help needed: RFC2231 encoding test

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Sep 28 16:00:25 BST 2015

Hi,

On Sunday 27 September 2015 10:18:15 Volker Krause wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if anyone here has access to a semi-recent Outlook or Exchange and could
> verify that the name of the attachment in the attached email is decoded
> correctly there ("Däß üst äin Töst.txt"), that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Background: we have hacks in KMail and KMime to (optionally) generate
> attachment names that violate RFC2231, dating back to the end of the last
> century. I suspect that nobody uses Outlook 97 nowadays and this isn't an
> issue anymore :)

With German Outlook 2013/ 2016 it is only shown as "Unbenannte Anlage <some
number>".

But weirdly enough it does not appear to make any difference if I enable
Outlook compatible attachment names or not:

Tested:
E35 -> Outlook compatible names / no compatible names, UTF-8 -> broken
KDE 4.14 -> Compatible names / no compatible names, UTF-8 -> broken
KDE 4.14 -> Compatible names, latin-1 -> broken

These tests were all with outlook 2013/2016 So It's probably broken differently
now? :-)

Attached you can find a message sent by Outlook 2016 using your test file.

Regards,
Andre

P.S. If necessrary I can test with 2003, 2007 and 2010, too but this is a bit
more effort because I only have remote access to those.

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/