[Kde-pim] Outlook help needed: RFC2231 encoding test

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Sep 28 18:02:05 BST 2015

On Sunday 27 September 2015 10:18:15 Volker Krause wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if anyone here has access to a semi-recent Outlook or Exchange and could
> verify that the name of the attachment in the attached email is decoded
> correctly there ("Däß üst äin Töst.txt"), that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Background: we have hacks in KMail and KMime to (optionally) generate
> attachment names that violate RFC2231, dating back to the end of the last
> century. I suspect that nobody uses Outlook 97 nowadays and this isn't an
> issue anymore :)

Thanks a lot for the test results we got so far, on- and off-list!

The results are largely inconclusive though. Summary so far: Some instances of
2010 seem to properly decode the RFC2231 names, one fails on my test mail but
works on self-generated KMail mails. All 2013 instances fail entirely to
decode the test case. 2016 seems to still generate the non-RFC2231 encoding.

Interestingly enough all reports confirm that the Outlook compat naming option
makes no difference. Probably means that option is entirely broken.

So, we found a bunch of new issues here apparently, not exactly what I was
hoping for :-/

Anyone with a GMail account who could check what that generates? Wondering if
that's RFC2231 and how Outlook handles that, considering it's probably the
most commonly used mail client nowadays.

regards,
Volker