[Kde-pim] change IMAP server address

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Oct 14 10:05:53 BST 2015

On Monday, October 5, 2015 10:25:07 AM CEST Romain wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I've been hit with a weird issue this morning : my company made the
> 'unfortunate' choice a few years ago to switch from Gmail to Office365...
> this morning there were some DNS resolution issues with
> outlook.office365.com not responding.
> I noticed outlook-emeasouth.office365.com was working much better. I
> changed the server address in the KMail / akonadi IMAP resource config but
> it seems kmail did not like this at all. the resource was still there in
> the akonadi console but KMail did not show it and could not access/view any
> mails from KMail. Even reverting to outlook.office365.com, rebooting,
> etc... did not work either.
>
> I therefore had to remove the resource entirely and now it's doing a new
> full sync from  the server, which is annoying because it contains thousands
> and thousands of emails from way back, but it's done it in the past without
> problems so i'll let it complete.
>
> Are you aware of this behaviour ? is it "allowed" / expected to be able to
> change the IMAP server address ? wondering if akonadi does not use the
> server address as an identifier somewhere and would get confused if it gets
> changed.

Normally changing the server URL should force the the IMAP resource to throw
away all cached data and sync everything again (so you would not avoid it
anyway), simply because there's no 100% reliable way for us to know whether
the new URL points to the same server and account as the old one (and yes, we
also use the URL as part of remote identifiers).

The fact that the resource got stuck for you is unfortunate, this is not very
widely tested feature :-) I tried with my Kolab (because that's the only
server that I can access from multiple URLs) and it indeed got stuck after
changing server URL, but after restarting Akonadi it synced correctly.

Thinking about it, it might make sense to disallow changing the URL and user
name in the IMAP resource once it's configured, forcing people to remove the
IMAP resource and create a new one if they want to change the server and/or
username, because they will need to sync all their mail from scratch anyway
and we know that this way it works rather reliably.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
Email: dvratil at kde.org
Jabber: dan.vratil at kdetalk.net
IRC: dvratil on Freenode (#kde, #kontact, #akonadi)