[Kde-pim] Getting started with KDE PIM development

Paul Eggleton bluelightning at bluelightning.org
Sun Jun 7 02:47:33 BST 2015

Hi all,

As a long time user of KDE PIM applications (in particular, KMail and
KOrganizer), I've finally felt inspired to have a go at some hacking.
I'm new to the KDE PIM codebase, KF5 and modern Qt - most of my Qt
experience has been with Qt 2.x (as the last remaining developer on the
Opie project), so I've clearly got some learning to do - but I'd like to
help where I can. After some struggling and several false starts I've
finally got to the point where I've been able to build and run KF5-based
kdepim from master.

Anyway, I thought I would try digging into KOrganizer. The first thing I
found though is that I could create new todo items, but editing or
deleting them didn't work - I just got a beep and "log_korganizer: Null
incidence" on the console. After some digging around in the code I found
that if I replaced "TodoModel::TodoRole" at points in the todoview.cpp
code retrieving the selected item with
"Akonadi::EntityTreeModel::ItemRole" which I found being used elsewhere
in the same file, the returned object was actually the right one and the
actions began to work. My question is though, is this actually the
correct fix or is there some deeper reason why the current code isn't
working? (I'm aware that the code is in a state of flux at the moment,
so perhaps I've just stumbled into the middle of refactoring - feel free
to tell me I should find some other part of the code to look at.)

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul Eggleton