[Kde-pim] Issue with deletions

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 14 21:33:26 BST 2015

On Saturday 13 June 2015 13:20:27 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015, at 01:04 PM, Michael Bohlender wrote:
> > I wonder if we need that feature at all.
> > Is there a valid scenario/usecase for it?
> > I have a hard time imagining a situation where i would want that
> > behaviour.
>
> Jup, I think I'll just remove it. It can always be readded later on
> (if there was indeed a need for it).

Please do not remove it.

A few months ago I had to disable the automatic expunge because KMail
went crazy and deleted all messages in one of my inboxes. Luckily, the
IMAP server does not delete the messages immediately (despite of the
expunge), but keeps them for some time (I think 30 days), so that I
could recover them. Phew! Now the problem was that the recovered
messages were still marked as deleted, so that KMail immediately
expunged the messages again. :(

Neither the web mail interface nor KMail offers (unless KMail got this
feature lately) a means to undelete messages that are marked as delete.
So, for the time being I had to disable the automatic expunge in KMail
to prevent KMail from expunging the recovered messages. Once I had
undeleted the recovered messages (with offlineimap which I specifically
hacked to remove the delete flag; offlineimap is written in Python, so
hacking it was way easier than hacking KMail), I re-enabled the
automatic expunge.

Without the possibility to disable automatic expunge I would have had to
stop using KMail until I had undeleted the recovered messages. (It took
at least a month until I found time to hack offlineimap for this.)

So, please do not remove the possibility to disabled automatic expunge.
Mark it with a big fat warning not to disable it unless one knows
exactly what one does. Or hide the option in akonadiconsole so that
normal users cannot disable it accidentally. But please do not make me
stop using KMail if KMail goes crazy again and thinks it has to delete
my entire inbox.

Regards,
Ingo