[Kde-pim] Akonadi now using a binary protocol

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Thu Jun 25 21:07:46 BST 2015

Hi all,

just a heads up that I have just merged the dev/binary-protocol branches in
Akonadi and kdepimlibs repositories. This means that clients and Akonadi
server now use a binary stream instead of a text-based protocol. IMAP was
cool, but de/serializing data from/into a binary stream is way faster. That
said it is still possible to get human-readable string representatio of each
command for debugging purposes, so the "Debugger" tab in Akonadi Console is
still pretty useful :-)

I'll write a more in-depth technical blog post soon with more details about
the change. There are also some more details in the commits messages [0], [1].

The change is API compatible, but not ABI so those who are running KDE PIM
from master must in addition to akonadi and kdepimlibs (obviously) rebuild
also kmailtransport, kidentitymanagement, akonadi-calendar, kdepim and kdepim-
runtime.

I don't have any hard numbers now to proof that it's actually faster, so feel
free to yell at me if it *feels* slower :-) If you run into any problems,
please do ping/mail/bug me.

Cheers,
Dan

[0] http://commits.kde.org/akonadi/b16227d59bf1b35b4842e0e0f20edc3163ca3ec8
[1] http://commits.kde.org/kdepimlibs/d5c3c1101df5b7de9e791088444e4c066e87e5c6

--
Daniel Vrátil
Email: dvratil at kde.org
Jabber: dan.vratil at kdetalk.net
IRC: dvratil on Freenode (#kde, #kontact, #akonadi)