[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Jul 31 20:47:20 BST 2015

Am Freitag, 31. Juli 2015, 19:26:24 schrieb Volker Krause:
> Hi,

Hello Volker,

> over the past 19 years KMail has accumulated a few features that have been
> needed and useful at some point, but have become obsolete for various
> reasons.  They clutter the UI and increase the amount of code that has to
> be maintained. At the PIM meeting at Akademy we therefore discussed to be
> slightly more aggressive than so far in cleaning this up.
>
> Examples of things that are already gone:
> - tip of the day (got out of fashion after the 90s)
> - local sendmail support (not shipped/installed by modern distros)

I´d still love to use KMail to read the mail my local Postfix setup delivers
to my local user, i.e. cronjob messages. Like I was able to in KMail 1 times.
But this would be something in Akonadi to implement, instead of in KMail I
think.

> - system speaker beep notifications (dysfunctional with semi-recent
> hardware)
>
> Here's a few more ideas:
[…]
> - configurable host name for SMTP, even changeable per identity??

Does KMail meanwhile make sure that it sends an FQDN, at the momentant I still
have this in my Postfix mail server main.cf:

smtpd_helo_restrictions =
        reject_invalid_helo_hostname
        # Removed server didn´t accept mail from KMail., 31.5.2007, Martin
        #reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname
        #reject_unknown_helo_hostname

(That also means I never tried setting a FQDN in KMail configuration.)

Thanks,
--
Martin