[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Fri Jul 31 22:16:15 BST 2015

On Friday 31 July 2015 22:38:42 laurent Montel wrote:
> Le Friday 31 July 2015, 19:26:24 Volker Krause a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > over the past 19 years KMail has accumulated a few features that have been
> > needed and useful at some point, but have become obsolete for various
> > reasons. They clutter the UI and increase the amount of code that has to
> > be
> > maintained. At the PIM meeting at Akademy we therefore discussed to be
> > slightly more aggressive than so far in cleaning this up.
> >
> > Examples of things that are already gone:
> > - tip of the day (got out of fashion after the 90s)
> > - local sendmail support (not shipped/installed by modern distros)
> > - system speaker beep notifications (dysfunctional with semi-recent
> > hardware)
> >
> > Here's a few more ideas:
> > - application-local network proxy settings, seems of questionable value
> > with most network I/O actually happening elsewhere. System proxy settings
> > should cover this.
> > - there's 5 checkboxes to enable different Outlook/Exchange compatibility
> > aspects of iTip messages. If that's needed at all nowadays, there should
> > be
> > just one.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > - configurable host name for SMTP, even changeable per identity??
>
> It was ask from user.
>
> > - external composer editor support
>
> It's unit tested.
> So why remove it ?
>
> > - customizable Message-Id prefix
> > - show user agent in fancy header option, if you really care about that,
> > look at the message source. Same for the "all headers" header style.
> >
> > More ideas? Objections? :)
>
> Objections of course.
> I don't see why we need to remove feature which works ?
>
> How we will explain to user that we removed features ?
>
> I don't understand idea to remove feature which works ?

The tip of the day feature also did work, still I think it made no sense to
keep that ;)

It's not about removing things that work and are used. It's about not wasting
time on maintaining stuff that doesn't. Not everything that once solved a
problem still does that nowadays, that's the things I want to identify. Don't
worry, I'm certainly not going to remove anything you want to keep :)

> If you want a light kmail perhaps you can create a new application based on
> kdepim component no ?

Runtime cost is not the motivation here, maintenance cost is, so a second
application would make it worse.

regards,
Volker