[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Fri Jul 31 21:32:26 BST 2015

On Friday 31 July 2015 15:44:40 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Friday, July 31, 2015 07:26:24 PM Volker Krause wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > over the past 19 years KMail has accumulated a few features that have been
> > needed and useful at some point, but have become obsolete for various
> > reasons. They clutter the UI and increase the amount of code that has to
> > be maintained. At the PIM meeting at Akademy we therefore discussed to be
> > slightly more aggressive than so far in cleaning this up.
> >
> > Examples of things that are already gone:
> > - tip of the day (got out of fashion after the 90s)
> > - local sendmail support (not shipped/installed by modern distros)
> > - system speaker beep notifications (dysfunctional with semi-recent
> > hardware)
> >
> > Here's a few more ideas:
> > - application-local network proxy settings, seems of questionable value
> > with most network I/O actually happening elsewhere. System proxy settings
> > should cover this.
> > - there's 5 checkboxes to enable different Outlook/Exchange compatibility
> > aspects of iTip messages. If that's needed at all nowadays, there should
> > be
> > just one.
> > - configurable host name for SMTP, even changeable per identity??
> > - external composer editor support
> > - customizable Message-Id prefix
> > - show user agent in fancy header option, if you really care about that,
> > look at the message source. Same for the "all headers" header style.
> >
> > More ideas? Objections? :)
>
> spam filtering and virus filtering
> should be discussed as candidates for removal

Virus filtering indeed came up at Akademy as well as a possible candidate.

> are we limited to talking about KMail only?

Not at all, I should have mentioned that :)

> can we discuss removing KNode (and KTimetracker and KJots,... )?

All of those are already gone since the Toulouse meeting.

For KOrganizer, the timeline view and the journal stuff come to mind. KMail's
overly detailed font and color configuration options also look like good
candidates to me, the situation might be similar in KOrganizer.

Regarding some of the feedback from others in this thread: This is not the
place for asking for stuff to be added, this is about identifying things we
can all live without to cut things down to a maintainable size.

regards,
Volker