[Kde-pim] Akonadi(Next): Thoughts on caching

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Jan 21 14:21:03 GMT 2015

Am Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2015, 14:56:47 schrieb Vishesh Handa:
> On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 02:06:04 PM Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Yeah, I know. But I talked about what Outlook Web Access reports and thus
> > meant any full text indexing that happens on our Exchange cluster.
> >
> > The full text index in Baloo is just:
> >
> > ms at merkaba:~/.local/share/baloo> LANG=C du -sch email/* | sort -rh
> > 5.4G    total
> >
> > Thats even smaller than the file_db_data with about 7 GiB.
>
> I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when creating the email full text
> index we purposely do not store positional information of the words, cause
> storing it increased the size by about 40%.
>
> Also, we were having enough disk io problems.

Sure. 5,4 GiB is still something.

But from what I can say: Baloo as full text mail indexer worked better than
anything else I ever saw. Zimbra groupware server came close, but there search
only worked with the webmail interface. Nepomuk? It worked somewhat in the
end, but not nearly as fluid as Baloo still does.

I am keen to see your work on replacing Xapian. I think at some time I start
compiling KF5 related stuff as it may take quite some time till first packages
appear in Debian. At least some months, until Jessie is released, I think.