[Kde-pim] Creating a kdepim git meta repo

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Sun Aug 16 08:52:43 BST 2015

On 16 August 2015 at 08:33, Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame at kde.org> wrote:
> Il Sat, 15 Aug 2015 18:18:49 -0400, Martin Klapetek ha scritto:
>
>> Imho it cannot be much more easier than to provide a kdesrc-build config
>> file,
>> download it in a desired folder and run "kdesrc-build". There's really
>> nothing more to it, so not much tool learning needed.
>
> +1.

The problem is the kdesrc-build docs and TechBase docs are not very
newbie friendly or recently updated. Heck, they're not very "old hand
returning and trying to work out how to do things" friendly either :-)
I'd agree with using kdesrc-build for everything if a) the
documentation exists to explain how to use it for the most common
scenarios, b) it actually easily supported the most common scenarios.
It took me ages to work out how to get it just to build a local branch
that hasn't been pushed to the central repo (or maybe I'm just
particularly thick...). Mostly it just needs a UX review for what the
most common use cases are and how to provide those without having to
pass dozens of parms.

If we provide a standard file, I'd suggest shipping it inside the
kdesrc-build repo itself so it is kept updated in step.

And yes, I realise I just volunteered myself for writing some of that...

John.