[Kde-pim] kdepim unbuildable with kdesrc-build

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 17:54:07 BST 2015

Le lundi 24 août 2015, 18:47:30 CEST Daniel Vrátil a écrit :
> On Monday, August 24, 2015 12:04:04 PM CEST Milian Wolff wrote:
> > On Monday, August 24, 2015 11:42:10 AM CEST Volker Krause wrote:
> > > Hi Martin,
> > >
> > > sorry about that.
> > >
> > > I'm not exactly sure what is wrong here, I use kdesrc-build myself, for
> > > kdepim and everything else of KDE I use, and never had this issue with
> > > kdepim. Last time I saw similar issues was in the very early KF5 days,
> > > when
> > > stuff was still moving a lot, and you are right, these issues are very
> > > frustrating to debug.
> > >
> > > I also usually have the old builds still around, both in build and
> > > install
> > > locations, so that sounds similar to your setup, and my kdesrc-build
> > > configuration is pretty much vanilla upstream.
> > >
> > > I'm also not aware of anything non-standard we do regarding library
> > > search
> > > paths etc, so without further input I unfortunately have no idea how to
> > > improve the situation :-(
> > >
> > > Anyone else seeing this, or similar issues with building manually? Which
> > > library is picked up over which other one in the case things go wrong,
> > > for
> > > which target, and what do the CMake config files say for those
> > > libraries?
> > > have seen switching between debug and release builds creating duplicate
> > > config files, and thus resulting in an outdated one still being around
> > > after some time, something similar might be happening here.
> >
> > Personally, I saw it just yesterday. It happened in kdepim (the git repo,
> > not the meta module), with nearly all libs, sadly I forgot the exact
> > reason
> > - it was complaining about missing unresolved symbols - I forgot which
> > ones. A make uninstall && make install fixed it for me.
>
> I think the reason could be that some of the shared libraries (like
> libkmailprivate.so) have all their dependencies linked privately, even
> though some of the dependencies are used in their headers. Other binaries
> that link against them then get linked against the wrong libs, probably
> because of some cmake-target-linking-interface-visibility-black-magic
> thing.
>
> As an example, I just got linking error of kmail_part.so due to undefined
> KMime symbols in /opt/kde-devel/lib64/libmessageviewer.so. kmail_part.so
> does not link against it directly, but it links against libkmailprivate.so,
> which has links messageviewer links against messageviewer (privately).
> Moving messageviewer to public linking interface of kmailprivate fixed the
> build subsequently for me.
>
> Here is the full patch I used to make my kdepim compile today:
> https://paste.kde.org/pobglzrie
>
> I'm not sure if this is really the case, but if really is, then this patch
> only fixes the today case and we need some better method how to detect that
> we are missing dependencies in public linking interface...

> [...]

Hi,
For me CI doesn't show linking error so it's build from existing lib on
system.
I am not sure that add this patch is really useful as by default it links
correctly in CI (and I build all from scratch today without error).

If there is a missing dependancy CI will inform us no ?

On a clean system it compiles fine.

Regards