[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Sat Aug 1 00:31:50 BST 2015

On Saturday, August 01, 2015 12:15:25 AM Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag, 31. Juli 2015, 22:32:26 schrieb Volker Krause:
> > On Friday 31 July 2015 15:44:40 Allen Winter wrote:
> > > On Friday, July 31, 2015 07:26:24 PM Volker Krause wrote:
> […]
>
> > For KOrganizer, the timeline view and the journal stuff come to mind.
> > KMail's overly detailed font and color configuration options also look
> > like
> > good candidates to me, the situation might be similar in KOrganizer.
>
> Eh, not the journal. I am using it since years.
>
> It has journal entries from 5 years ago or so, at least.
>
> I think removing things should take into account what users use. Of course I
> don´t know how many other users use it.

Unfortunately there's always at least someone who uses this or that. This way
we would not be able to remove anything. Trust me, it's not easy for us to do
this. Not at all. We spent lots of our spare time working on those things, so
throwing it away is not something we would do just before we can.

If we want KDE PIM to move, we need to make those hard decisions and reduce
the size of the code base to something, that the current team can afford to
maintain. If the team ever grows, we can start bringing these things back. But
if we want to attract new developers, we need to become interesting first. And
that will not happen with the code base we have right now. We need to do
something about it, and this is the result.

If we can avoid removing something by refactoring it, we will refactor it. We
don't want to kill features and fucntionality randomly, but we need to decide
if the benefit outweights the maintenance costs, and if it aligns with our
vision of KDE PIM.

Hope this explains it a bit.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683