[Kde-pim] Kontact Vision

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Aug 18 17:49:59 BST 2015

Hi,

as already indicated elsewhere, one of the things we did at Akademy was
working on a vision for KDE PIM. Here it is, sorry for the delay:

  Kontact is a personal information manager for people who care about
  privacy and have email-based workflows. It enables them to deal with large
  amounts of emails and coordinate teamwork in an effective way.

  We provide privacy by default and productivity in an elegant package.

  Unlike proprietary web applications it is Free Software and supports open
  standards. It gives you full control over your data and enables offline
  access.

This should come in handy when deciding what to focus on, which direction to
move in, or when creating personas (see Andrew's Akademy talk for the
background on this).

I'm mostly a messenger here, thanks to Akonadi Dan, Post-It Kevin and VDG
Andrew for driving this, and everybody else who helped, it's actually
surprisingly hard to write a few sentences describing what we (want to) do :)

I'm quite happy with the result, it nicely covers the areas we have always
been looking at more or less implicitly, privacy/crypto, productivity/"power
user" features (both with quite good results IMHO), and usability (with let's
say quite some room for improvement ;) ). What do you think?

regards,
Volker