[Kde-pim] Questions regarding KJots

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue Apr 7 09:33:06 BST 2015

On Sunday, April 05, 2015 02:30:04 PM Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Hi I want to know if its possible to list the backends that KJots is
> compatible.

Hi,

KJots uses Akonadi, so it can work with any backend (Akonadi resource) that
implements support for Notes. Currently I think we only have the local notes
resource which stores notes locally and the Kolab Groupware resource which
syncs notes with Kolab server.

> So far I saw that Facebook notes show up, but not Keeper from Google. I
> wonder if there is some open source backends like Owncloud, Zimbra,
> Evernote, etc.

Google Keep does not have public API, so that's the reason there's no support.
Don't know if owncloud supports any notes, but if they do, it's just matter of
writing an Akonadi resource to support that. Zimbra's "Briefcase" is closer to
Google Docs than notes, so that does not map well on KJots (also I don't think
the Briefcase has public API - it's not exposed via IMAP at leat). Evernote
does have API, and there were some tried to implement an Evernote Akonadi
resource in Python couple years ago, but I don't think they got anywhere.

> Also some plugin with Kleopatra to encrypt some of the notes.

This would have to be implemented in KJots (to encrypt/decrypt the notes
before they are stored to Akonadi). However I don't think encryption/signing
of notes is standardized anywhere, so I don't think there's any webservice
that would be able to display such encrypted notes.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683