[Kde-pim] The Future or KDE PIM Releases

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Apr 13 14:04:18 BST 2015

Hey PIMsters,

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 11:31:26 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Greetings from Toulouse!
>
> We've been discussing the plans for releases of Akonadi(Next) and KDE PIM as
> a  whole on the PIM sprint, because the current situation is kinda unclear
> and harmful for the project.
>
> Now that we have a better idea of what Akonadi Next will be like, we
> decided  that we don't want to just basically stop working on PIM and focus
> all our efforts towards Akonadi Next because that would cause the entire
> PIM to be in sort of a limbo for who-knows-how-long and that would not be
> good for our users and for the project in general. We are already losing
> users so freezing the development of the project does not sound like a good
> idea.
>
> Instead we will aim towards releasing KF5-based KDE PIM with "Akonadi 1" in
> the next release of KDE Applications in August. That means we now have
> about 4 months to make sure that there are no regressions caused by changes
> in Qt behavior - this should be manageable and not much effort really. This
> is an internal change more or less, users won't notice anything.

This sounds awesome. I've been having a bit of doubt about the earlier plans
to bet everything on Akonadi Next and not release a Qt5/KF5 port first -- from
experience with many projects in the KDE4 migration, but also from a users'
point of view, who would in that case be missing a properly integrated PIM in
Plasma 5 for quite a while.

Thanks for revisiting these plans, from what I can see, the revised strategy
seems very good.

sebas