[Kde-pim] Killing kpimutils framework

Daniel Vratil dvratil at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 12:42:17 BST 2014

Hi,

during Akademy we came to conclusion that we want to kill the kpimutils
"framework" in kdepimlibs, before we start splitting the frameworks into
repositories. Right now it's an dumping ground for random classes, so we want
to get rid of it of course :)

I tried to split it and move the classes to other existing frameworks, but run
into problems with dependencies. Let me know what do you think about this, or
if you have better ideas how to split the framework :)

Email - should be renamed to EmailAddress and could be moved to KCodecs - it's
a generic email address parser/validation tool that could be useful in many
cases outside PIM. The reason for moving it to KCodecs instead of KCoreAddons
is that it depends on KMime::{encode,decode}RFC2047String() methods and
there's already decodeRFC2047String() available in KCodecs, so if we add
encodeRFC2047String() to KCodecs (which IMO makes sense), we could move it
there. Maybe we could move the "more robust" encode/decode implementation from
KMime into KCodecs too when at it.

EmailValidator - a simple QValidator subclass that uses the above-mentioned
Email class to validate email addresses. Because of that, it would have to go
to KCodecs too, and KCodecs would have to depend on QtGui - if that's
possible/reasonable.

KFileIO - methods for reading and writing files that will do all possible and
impossible error handling for you. Not sure if it makes sense to have this
around - error messages from QFile should be already localized from lib. Could
either be removed, or could be moved to KCoreAddons - I'd just port it away
from KMessageBox and let applications to show the error on their own.

LinkLocator - probably another adept for KCodecs or KCoreAddons - given a
text, it can extract all email addresses from it (not using the Email class
above), convert text into HTML (stuff like */_ markup and links are converted
into HTML entities)  - it also supports converting smileys into inline images
using KEmoticons - which again makes it problematic to put it into a Tier 1
framework - we could only remove the smileys support to get rid of that
dependency, otherwise I don't know what other framework would be a good home
for this class.

ProgressIndicatorLabel and ProgressIndicatorWidget - widgets that show a
spinner animation and a label when you call start() on it, and hides when you
call stop() - we though it could be moved to KWidgetAddons, but unfortunatelly
it requires KIconLoader from KIconTheme (Tier 3) framework to be able to load
progressindicator icon/animation from /usr/share/icons, so for now we move it
to kdepim/pimcommon/widgets (since it's only used in KDE PIM apps), and try to
figure out what to do with that later.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
KDE Desktop Team

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348