[Kde-pim] KMail hallucinates mails in "account" folder

Mara Raram marararam at gmx.net
Thu Sep 25 15:41:24 BST 2014

Hi Daniel,

On 25.09.2014 11:26, Daniel Vratil wrote:

>> Since recently KMail shows me a count of 1'000 (exactly) messages in the
>> "top folder" of my IMAP account (see attached screenshot). This "folder"
>> represents the mail account, I do not think there should nor could ever
>> exist any messages there.
>
> You are right, there should be no emails in this folder. No Items at all for
> that matter.

Ok. Thanks for the confirmation.

>> Alas, this is not cosmetic. The automatic archiving does not work
>> anymore. While I can archive any folder of the account seperately,
>> archiving the whole account fails with an error message (translated back
>> from German):
>>
>> Folder "imap-1" could not be archived. Downloading of a message to
>> folder "imap-1" failed.
>>
>> (Der Ordner „imap-1“ kann nicht archiviert werden. Das Herunterladen
>> einer Nachricht in den Ordner „imap-1“ ist fehlgeschlagen.)
>>
>> Any help in fixing this problem?
>
> Could you try opening that folder in Akonadi Console to see what it contains?

I looked there this morning, as far as I remember there was nothing
shown for that folder. Following advice I got from the kdepim-user list
I then cleared the akonadi cache for said folder, which on restart of
KMail eliminated the ghost messages. So I cannot say for sure what was
there before.

> If those emails are just copies of emails existing elsewhere, we can manually
> delete those duplicates from the database.

I will keep that in mind.

> I think the items might have been moved/copied into that folder by a broken
> mail filter or something like that

My first suspect would be a folder with an expiration policy that was
due to delete about 3000 messages and failed to do so.

I also had some crashes of the akonadi imap resource handler that
happend nearly every night for the last week or so (not today, though).

I will keep an eye on this.

> - it appears that we don't enforce mimetype
> or ACL restrictions in server handlers at all, so it's only up to clients to
> "behave", which sounds like a bug to me.

I sadly do not know what that means...

Regards
Mara