[Kde-pim] akonadi: release unused connections to qpsql

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 10:20:23 GMT 2014

On Monday 10 of November 2014 22:37:30 P. Christeas wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2014, Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > 	Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at redhat.com>
> >
> >  I would suggest a slightly different solution:
> > Let's have the timeout implemented in server/src/connection.cpp, which
> > represents individual client connection to the Server. There's this method
> > called Connection::slotNewData() ...
>
> Well, I spent a few hours, today, drafting an implementation for that. You
> can find it at:
>  https://github.com/xrg/akonadi/commit/e421f51f0cf501e5e5

Looks good!

> (code written against 1.12 for my distro, but could be forward-ported, I
> suppose)
>
> The good news is, that it does reduce the active Postgres connections from
> 47 (in my case) down to <10 and even 0 at some points.

Great!

> Bad news, however, is that it does occasionally segfault. Even though
> DataStore::close() does reset the QueryCache and connection, it seems that
> there is still some lingering Query or pqResult which causes instability.
> I'm investigating...

Akonadi server will automatically dump a backtrace when it crashes, should be
quite useful. If you don't manage to catch the crash let me know, I'll try to
help :).

Once you are done, please upload the patch to git.reviewboard.kde.org where we
can review it (more easily than on github). It might need a few iterations
before it can be merged.

Thanks for your work!

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348