[Kde-pim] KMail's quoting of text in replies and format=flowed

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 2 20:56:33 GMT 2014

On Saturday 01 November 2014 01:46:32 Jan Kundrát wrote:
> On Saturday, 1 November 2014 00:10:26 CEST, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Having said this, it would obviously be awesome to make some future
> > version of KMail generate proper format=flowed messages. And in this
> > case, of course, the user should not have the possibility to specify his
> > own quote character. I suppose patches are welcome.
>
> I'm afraid I won't be able to send patches which add full support for
> composing format=flowed; that's not easy. Trojita doesn't do this
> flawlessly, either (yet). I don't know KMail inside out, but I suppose the
> scope of changes won't be any smaller than those in Trojita :(.
>
> What I am proposing are patches which hard-code the quoting to be done
> according to format=flowed. Would that be considered acceptable, or is
> there some use case for supporting other quoting characters such as "|"?
> What use case is it?

IMHO, no. But there are people who fell in love with the quoting style of
their old mail client and now want KMail to behave the same way. I don't see
the point in allowing any other quoting character than '>' when generating
mails.

> > Hmm, looking at the "kdepim in KDE Applications 14.12" thread there's
> > definititely something broken in KMail's quoting of quoted paragraphs.
>
> Got a picture on how it gets rendered in KMail?

I've attached two screenshots. One shows the start of the message and the
other shows the scrolled down message.

Regards,
Ingo