[Kde-pim] KContacts, KXMLRPC. Moving forward

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 10 17:55:03 GMT 2014

On Monday, November 10, 2014 18.15:43 laurent Montel wrote:
> Le Monday 10 November 2014 17:45:48 Aleix Pol a écrit :
> > Hi,
> > I would like to get permission to have these 2 repositories finally split
> > into separate repositories and have them promoted as KDE Frameworks.

Aleix: Is there any chance that you might be willing to help split all the
repositories so that it isn't in a half-done state?

Also, we have a PIM dev sprint coming up in 10 days in Munich. The arrangement
of the repos is one of the topics. In fact, we discussed some of the relevant
issues in a pre-sprint irc meeting just today. Would it be alright to wait on
the splitting until after the PIM dev sprint? I don't foresee any significant
changes in plan, but it would prevent any possible annoyances should ideas /
decisions come up at the sprint that would affect this split.

> > I'm suggesting to only split those two (by grafting, like we did with most
> > of kde-runtime, kde-workspace and kdelibs)
>
> We need to keep git history during split.

Agreed; what happened to the workspace repositories was a travesty,
particularly for files that moved in the process. graft is a neat trick but
completely unnecessary in these cases. The repositories are not that big and
keeping history is trivial with git subtree.

--
Aaron J. Seigo