[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Wed Nov 26 09:46:18 GMT 2014

Hi all,

the PIM sprint is over and we have some exciting future ahead of us!

Let's start with the largest change: Christian and Aaron came up with a
proposal for redesign of Akonadi using modern reactive design patterns. We
polished and sorted out a lot of details there, and I'm really excited about
the plan, as it will allow Akonadi to benefit from modern technologies, making
the codebase simpler, faster and more robust (I guess that's what you guys
said about the current Akonadi too ;-)). We also hope to attract new
contributors by using the new "cool" stuff. Big thanks to Till for his
insights into current Akonadi design.

Implementing these changes and stabilizing the project will take lots of time.
On Akademy I mentioned that my plans I had with Akonadi would take roughly a
year to implement. I expect that this will take at least the same amount of
time, maybe even more, since I'll have considerably less time to work on PIM
in the near future. I gave some thoughts to the current situation and I think
that it might be a good idea to implement some of my ideas on the current
Akonadi master, and release as soon as possible, so that people can get at
least some bug fixes and performance improvements while we work on the
"Akonadi Next". Since KDE PIM is basically ported to Qt 5/KF 5 (with
kdelibs4support, but that does not really matter) and seems to work (more or
less), we could try to release from master with next KDE Applications (15.04
or whatever the version turns out to be) without any guarantees and promises
of API and ABI compatibility of the Frameworks. This is necessary, because we
can't really wait with release until we can give this promise, as there are
other projects depending on Akonadi (Plasma, KTp, ....) and we are effectively
blocking them. Once we decide that the new Akonadi is ready, we should be able
to simply switch from the old one to the new one and work towards stable
API/ABI of the libraries. Laurent, and other PIM maintainers: opinions?

We also discussed some more repositories reshuffling:

kdepimlibs:
* merge akonadi-{contacts,calendar,mime,notes,socialutils} to akonadi-extras
* merge gpgme++ and qgpgme
* finish killing kpimutils

kdepim-runtime:
* agents -> akonadi-resources
* resources -> akonadi-resources
* plugins -> akonadi-extras
* qml -> akonadi (src/declarative)
* resourcetester -> akonadi-resources
* kioslave -> could go to kio-extras, or akonadi-extras
* migration -> akonadi-migration

kdepim:
- no changes atm

I'm not mentioning the other topics like VDG and QML API as I wasn't there or
wasn't paying enough attention :), but I hope others who were there will send
their summary too.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348